About Me

My photo
Liturgical dancer, writer, musician, United Methodist minister, guest preacher, retreat leader on prayer, non-violent communication, and the arts & spirituality

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Life Vests, A Confession

In November John began his lecture cruise in the Mediterranean. I was thrilled to be a part of it, particularly because I wanted to see Egypt (and I love to hear John speak). I was not excited about the ship, however. The last time we "shipped" it was in March in the Mediterranean. Not a great time to go. Gale force winds as we rounded the bottom part of Greece were dreadful. 

Norwegian Cruise Line "Jade"

This time I wanted to make sure the life vest was handy.

Our first duty on board was to go to the Evacuation Drill. Holding up a life vest, the steward said, "Should we need to evacuate, make sure you grab the vest from your closet and bring it to our meeting point where you will put it on. Should we need to enter the water (what? isn't this just a fashion show?), don't waste energy by trying to swim. The vest will automatically turn you on your back.
Life vests - in our closet
"The vests have reflectors,   lights and whistles. These  aren't meant to be seen from the horizon but by others in the water." 

(I had never heard of such a thing. Wasn't each woman for herself -- to get attention from the shore?)

He went on, "Gather in a   circle in the water, holding hands. (Hold HANDS?? What, and sing "Kum Ba Ya"??)

"When the boat comes, unclasp hands, then put your legs around the waist of the person in front of you as you make a straight line for the boat. Use your arms to paddle like oars."

Oh my gosh, I got it. The entire plan is done to protect the weakest among us. It wasn't every man for himself. I thought it was a dandy sermon illustration. 

Little did I know what that would mean for my own spirit. 

***

At night on the ship

After a couple of days at sea (and some terrific lectures by John), we gathered for our first land voyage. This was my most dreaded part, even more than the ship. Would the bus ride be like a youth group sing-along? Or what? I knew we wouldn't have as much time ashore as I yearned for. I could feel my impatience rising.

Waiting on the ship for buses to carry 650 of our people.
Then I saw who was on our bus. My tiny, keyed-up heart shriveled. My worst impulses rose to the surface. People were in wheelchairs and on canes. We looked like Jesus' banquet when he asks the disciples to round up the maimed, the lame, the blind.

Yeah, I was irritated at how slow everyone moved. I wanted to get off the bus in a hurry and drink in as much of the surroundings as I could. Come on! We were in the Holy Lands!

But that verse (Luke 14:13) started sinking in to my unconscious, and God began to work. I just didn't know what kind of holy lands I was on.

Oh, the buses, the buses
That evening, back on the ship, I was in a stormy mood. I remember silently praying that the negative feelings would pass. In the Italian restaurant I looked up and saw Nyla.

I thought about how I had watched her moving from a wheelchair to walking with a three-pronged cane that could convert into a little seat when the road was too rough. This was not an easy trip for her, and yet she persevered.

Perge ruins in southern Turkey
With a force that was not my own will, I stood up and made my way to her dinner table. "Thank you for your courage," I said. "You have inspired me more than you'll ever know." At that moment I couldn't bear the fact that I'd been so annoyed.

She said, "I had cancer of the jaw last year. The thought of this trip kept me going through all those rounds of chemo. See? I can only open my jaw this wide now, but I'm here and this is such a blessing. And look, here's my family all around me!"

How can I express my thanks to this saint? My heart melted. In a few days we were standing in front of the Kidron Valley, overlooking the Old City of Jerusalem. Nyla greeted me with tears in her eyes, "I never thought I'd see this place."



Pilgrims, carrying a cross












This intrepid woman then proceeded to make her way through a full day of touring Jerusalem. Up and down stairs, across rocks & dust & cobblestones. Jostling the crowds on the Via Dolorosa, where her Jesus had walked 2,000 years ago. On to the Wailing Wall.

View of Roman ruins and the Wailing Wall
Church of the Holy Sepulchre


At the Sea of Galilee


Coming down from the "Upper Room"

Through Jerusalem, to the sites around the Sea of Galilee, she persevered.

Through Egypt and even on to the top of a camel -- this indefatigable believer.

Her family is arranging for her to ride a camel

The last night on the ship, the family invited us to join them for Nyla's 85th birthday. I was more humbled than they will ever know. What pure joy.

Nyla's 85th birthday.
I began to understand the life vest metaphor. It wasn't about what you perceive; it's about what's really there. I wasn't the strong one, protecting the weak ones. No. Nyla had clasped my hand in the circle in the dark water. She threw her legs around me and paddled with me and others to the life boat. She wasn't the powerless one. I was. And her power brought me to holy land.

4 comments:

  1. Great story, Ma! And excellent camel-riding form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your humor and insight and grace. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the elderly, they ALWAYS put things in perspective...and I love you as well for the same!
    My parents and sister and her family were just in Turkey and had a grand time...I went about 11 years ago and visited Catal Huyek and had a feminine divine ritual with my traveling mates, who like on your trip, became my pals...
    Wisdom has so many sources...so grateful for that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete