About Me

My photo
Liturgical dancer, writer, musician, United Methodist minister, guest preacher, retreat leader on prayer, non-violent communication, and the arts & spirituality

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Sweetness of Beauty


We come every October to watch the aspens change to gold. 

But this year we came by something extra: snow.


Our cabin porch, early morning on October 8, 2011

On Friday night my younger sister and her husband made the perilous drive up the mountain in a blinding snow storm. A tire went flat on their trip to get here, so they were trying to steer the car on a little doughnut of a spare. When they finally walked up these porch steps and into the warmth of the cabin, it was hard to contain the tears.  We brought them close to the fire. They were safe at last.

It kept snowing. Snow upon snow. Big chunks of snow fell off the roof. It continued into the night.

And then we woke up Saturday morning to find this.


The view from the porch: Santa Fe Baldy

We raced around the cabin looking out every window. Brilliant sun on brilliant snow!


I hadn't brought my hiking boots on the plane. Never mind. I couldn't miss this. Off I went.


Glorious trees, long time friends


Close-up of Santa Fe Baldy


Our beloved cabin: "Tres Hermanas"
(The hermanas? Subie, Cynthia, and me)


Throughout Saturday, we watched the work of the high, alpine sun.


How the light changes!


By the next day or two, much of the snow on the lower levels had melted.


Rounding up the cattle at Jacks Creek

We went to Jacks Creek for a breezy picnic and saw cowboys. Not the kind you see at Gilley's. They had slept in big tents and were rounding up the cattle.


Pecos Baldy


The snow melts, and the yellow emerges


God's country

John turned to me and said, "This is the most beautiful place on earth."
I had to agree.


The sweetness of life


I hope that these photographs, taken with reverence for life (and wet shoes), have sweetened your life. Let me know!




1 comment: